Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mountain Biking in Bymarka

I went mountain biking with Anders for the second time today! Trondheim has two recreational areas (kind of like state parks): one on the east side of town and one on the west. We have been biking in Bymarka (which is the larger of the two and is located in the west).

The mountain biking in Bymarka is far more difficult than the trails I used to ride in Oregon. However, Anders has generously lent me a great mountain bike as well as shown me how to do things like cross frozen creeks and bounce down rocky staircases.

The dying snow turns interesting colors.

Crossing creeks like this is easy when giant blocks of ice aren't involved.

Ice-covered water is still foreign to me. However, I've heard rumors of an albino beaver living in this particular lake (just like home!).
 
This looks like dry land but it's a trick; if you try to walk on it your feet will get wet up to your ankles.
 
The bike that Anders lets me borrow has 170mm of suspension and is not afraid of anything. It basically has an autopilot so when things get scary I just close my eyes until the handlebars stop shaking.

My friend Jason gave me this sweet Thor Hushovd jersey. It has the Norwegian flag on it and that is a good thing because it has a calming effect on the Norwegians that I run into on the trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment